Thursday, May 20, 2010

Marriage Forces Sale

I never cease to be amazed at how much stuff two or three people can accumulate over a period of 40 plus years. Now that I'm trying to clean out and get rid of unnecessary items I am finding so many things I forgot I ever had. Some of it is easily disposed of based on the fact that it serves absolutely no usefulness whatsoever. Some of it, I must admit has some sentimental value and parting with those things is a little more difficult. Then, there are those endless pictures and newspaper clippings that really slow down this cleaning out process. Let's face it, there's no way to just put those aside without reading the articles all over again while at the same time laughing hysterically at some of the pictures from "the old days."

I have found letters to the editor I've written (can't believe they actually published those), engagement and shower articles, obituaries, softball writeups when I was still playing, and anything else where a family member or friend was mentioned.

One clipping, which was a classified ad, captured my attention as it brought back memories of our engagement. C.W. and I had recently gotten engaged after dating for only 3 months. When I met C.W. he was driving a sporty 1968 Corvette convertible, but shortly before becoming engaged he traded for a 1969 Grand Prix. My mother asked me why he was getting a family car. Little did she know that a Grand Prix was not exactly a family vehicle. It was still a pretty sporty car and we both liked that car a lot. So, you can imagine our surprise when C.W. started getting calls about selling it. People were calling asking how much he wanted for the car. When he told the people calling that the car was not for sale, they informed him there was an advertisement for the sale of the car in The Jackson Sun. There was an immediate run to find that paper and sure enough, there it was......an ad reading "Marriage Forces Sale."

I don't recall how C.W. determined which one of his good friends had gone to such lengths to help us sell a car we didn't want to sell, but the suspicion fell toward Brodie Morgan fairly quickly. Sure enough, he was indeed the culprit. Once the calls about the car stopped we did have quite a chuckle over Brodie's prank. I'll attach a copy of the ad since it was rather humorous.

Thanks Brodie for making us laugh all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment