Monday, December 31, 2012

Welcome 2013!

Just in case someone actually reads this, I might mention that it looks like it’s been about two years since I’ve “blogged.” To tell the truth the only reason I set up a blog to begin with was to see if I could do it….and I did. Since I originally decided to start a blog I have seen many others and they were so impressive that I decided blogging was not exactly my forte. With that in mind, my disclaimer is that I’m not a writer; I just sometimes want to put my thoughts on paper. And, because it’s been a while since I’ve done that I figured it was high time to do it again, especially since today ends a year….2012.


What do a lot of people do on the last day of the year? They spend time reflecting on the past year….what they did, what they should have done, what they could do differently and so on. Frankly, I don’t spend much time reflecting. I mean really, yes, I’ve made plenty of mistakes; I’ve opened my mouth when I shouldn’t (many, many times); I’ve eaten junk when I knew better; I’ve sat down when I should have been up exercising; I’ve worried too much about my job…..and well, you get the picture. The list could go on and on. Hopefully, I’ve learned from my mistakes by now, so I’m finished looking back, and I’m ready to head into 2013 with a new attitude. I can hear Patti Labelle singing that song right now, can’t you?

Each month I write a newsletter for our Hospice of West Tennessee volunteers, and I wrote in January’s newsletter that the older I get the faster the New Year seems to arrive. I suppose I thought that once I had a few years on me (and I do) things would slow down somewhat, but I have found that I’m busier than I’ve ever been…..what’s up with that?

The year 2013 has arrived and as much as that number 13 may scare some people, I love it. It’s always been my favorite number. All the years I played softball, I wore that number on my jersey. So, does that mean for me 2013 will be a good year? I couldn’t tell you; there’s only One who knows what tomorrow will bring. I do realize it would be wise of me to have some plans, some goals, and perhaps even a few resolutions to start this new year.

My resolutions will include all the obvious ones like eat healthier, lose weight, exercise more, drink more water, get my house in order, start some new programs at work, be a better wife, mother, nana and so on and so forth or yadda, yadda, yadda…..as they say. Oh yeah, and one more thing, I’d really like a new car this year, which means either make more money, save more money, or win the lottery (which I never play) so that won’t work.

Yes, I’ll probably work toward all those obvious goals, but this coming year I want to focus on some areas that are really more important than all of those put together. I met a young lady this year who has gone through quite a few struggles in her family and yet, through it all, she has been an inspiration to me. If I can take a page from Erin’s book, this year I want to inspire, encourage, love and be a blessing to those with whom I come in contact. And, I want to do that while keeping life as simple as can be, and most of all to be very thankful. You see, I am a very blessed. May 2013 be the year of being a blessing to others!



No comments:

Post a Comment