Sunday, March 14, 2010

Daylight Saving Time


You know someone is going to write about it so it might as well be me. In doing my research to find out more about this subject I read an interesting quote, and I wish I knew who wrote it, but I don't. They said, "Just as sunflowers turn their heads to catch every sunbeam, so too have we discovered a simple way to get more from our sun." I thought that was a pretty interesting observation by someone, and since my friend loves sunflowers I wanted to include it.

How many of you have already thought I misspelled the second word? Ever since we've known anything about this horrible day in which we lose time, I have called it Daylight Savings Time, which I recently learned is incorrect. There is no "s" on Saving. It is a verbal adjective (participle) which actually modifies time. So, what we are trying to say in using this term is that we are saving time, which is totally ridiculous. How do you save time when you lose it? What we are doing is adjusting time or as some would say shifting it. Many have said it makes more sense to say we're shifting time from morning to afternoon, so why not call it Daylight Shifting Time? We could use the same initials DST, therefore being more correct in what we're actually doing.

So, who came up with this brilliant idea to mess around with our daylight time? There's all kinds of history on the subject, but frankly, I never did care much for history so I don't intend to read it. I do know that Ben Franklin's name is thrown around as having been the one who originally conceived the idea to "save time." Good 'ole Ben had some great ideas throughout his lifetime, but I'm not so sure this was one of them. I mean, really now, does anyone like losing a precious hour, and usually an hour that is used for rest or sleep?

And, don't we like to blame the addition of Daylight Saving Time on everything that happens from now 'til we change back in the Fall? Tomorrow when I'm at work and I yawn for whatever reason, I can assure you I'll blame it on DST. When I'm tired at the end of the day, I'll again blame it on losing that one hour. If I eat a larger than normal lunch tomorrow, of course I'll say it's because of DST. Get the picture........no matter what you do or don't do for weeks to come, we can blame it all on losing that hour one Saturday night in March.

So, whatever comes up tomorrow or the days following that appear a little out of the norm, be sure and blame it on DST; I certainly plan on doing just that. Whew, I am so sleepy right now....must be that lost hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment