Monday, March 15, 2010

My Favorite Teachers

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have enjoyed Facebook for several reasons. One of the benefits of Facebook is seeing pictures of friends with whom you went to school. Some classes are even using Facebook as a tool for locating classmates for reunions. As I look at some of the pictures people have posted of my classes, especially my first grade class, my thoughts turned to some of the teachers who had such an impact on my life. I started out by brilliantly skipping kindergarten and going straight to the first grade. My first teacher, Mrs. Fowlkes, was just about the sweetest person ever known, but she did seem rather old. Now, she probably wasn't, but I was only six so most everyone seemed old to me.

Naturally, I gathered from my first grade experience that all teachers would be sweet and nice. Then came the second grade and well, I suppose that teacher should remain nameless. I remember vividly the day we came in from recess (now, that's a word from the past, but play period didn't seem to be the right word either) and before we got seated in our assigned seats, our teacher informed us that she had a surprise for us. She told all the boys that she wanted them to line up in front of the class. At this point she proceeded to paddle each boy in that line. I don't remember what terrible sin they must have committed, but I thought the girls might be next. She did paddle two girls during that year as I recall, and no, I wasn't one of them. I was very much the sweet innocent little girl back then....excuse me, did I hear someone clearing their throat? One of those unfortunate girls is a dear friend and I imagine she remembers that day quite well. By the way as far as we knew, that teacher ended her career with our class....and I don't think it was her choice.

After suffering through that most traumatic year, I was relieved when I started the third year with a teacher whose name was Barbara Williams. Of course, I thought she had the most beautiful first name and since my boyfriend's last name was Williams I figured this must be some sort of omen, although I didn't have a clue what an omen was, but it did seem to be fate for me to have this teacher. Even more special than her name was the fact that she really must have liked me. During rest period (nap time) she would give me money, then send me across the street to the little family-owned candy shop to buy her some homemade candy. I was always rewarded for my efforts with a piece of stick candy.

Fourth grade proved to be another banner year. My teacher was Pat Randolph. Not only was she young and pretty, she was a tremendous teacher. I was also fortunate to have Ms. Randolph later on as my Girl Scout leader. I feel for anyone who didn't have the opportunity to be in one of her classes; she was truly amazing and I understand is still among the favorites of so many who were blessed to have her as their teacher.

Junior High brought only one favorite teacher who was Mary Louise Arnold...my PE teacher. She too was young and probably right out of college. I don't think she cared much for discipline although she did threaten it on occasions. I liked to push her buttons just to see how far I could go before being punished. I think I presented quite a challenge for her.

High School was the time when most of my interests involved band and band trips. I liked to sit in study hall and read medical books about surgeries, etc., but other than that I wasn't too interested in History and the other subjects. My parents placed practically no emphasis on grades as long as I passed so I lived up to their expectations and PASSED! I guess that's why when I went back to college I felt it very important to have a 4.0 average. I needed to prove that I was smart enough if I just applied myself. But, I digress....back to high school....I had two teachers who made quite an impression on my life. Margaret Shelton taught me how to type, and as much as I hated those horrible timed tests, I am a pretty good typist to this day because of them.....you're looking for the errors now, aren't you? Edyth Worthy was my PE teacher and there aren't enough adjectives in the English language to describe her dedication to her profession and her students. She was indeed one of a kind.

So, to all of you teachers both past and present, I salute you! Thank you for your devotion and commitment to molding the lives of so many students.

No comments:

Post a Comment